Friday, May 4, 2012

Today was Beer Day

I've been thoroughly enjoying this new hobby by spending many hours making different beers.  However, I didn't realize today would end up being "triple witching" Friday.  There were many things that needed to be done to put everything together.

1.  Moved bottles Honey-Orange Ale to fridge to chill.  It is ready to drink.  I had a sneak peek last night (a partially filled bottle), and I thought it was quite nice.

2.  Bottled Donut and Coffee Stout.  I brewed this two weeks ago, and it has already been in the secondary fermenter for a week.  Checked the specific gravity (SG) on this one, and it was a bit high at 1.014, but I needed the bottle soon, so I went ahead and shifted it to bottles.  I went light on the primer (table sugar), and will warm condition it an extra few days and hope the sugar level drops a bit further.

3.  Bottled Sam Adams clone, version 2.  This beer was brewed six weeks ago, and just finished a four week lager in the fridge.  This is my first batch that is bigger than a single gallon -- approximately 2.5 gallons.  It took 19 pint bottles, so it should be available to enjoy a bit longer.  SG on this brew was a low 1.004.

4.  Moved my 3 gallon Delirium Tremens clone to the secondary fermenter.  I'm quite excited about this beer, as it looked great, and smelled even better.  DT is my personal favorite brew, so I hope the clone lives up to original.  When I initially brewed this, the original SG was a bit low (1.064 versus a target of 1.072).  For it to have a chance of hitting the right ABV (Alcohol by Volume) level, I need a very complete fermentation.

And, of course, I spent most of the time actually washing and sanitizing hardware, which is pretty much par for the course when bottling or transferring.

Fun stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment