Sunday, May 19, 2013

In a Funk.

I found out a couple of days ago that my favorite boss of all time recently passed away.  This man was a great supporter and a mentor to me.  He certainly had a greater influence on my career and my management style than any other person I ever worked with.  I recall here just a few of his humorous (but often ironically accurate) sayings:

"...that's like drinking your own bathwater."
"Add a little fresh thinking to everything you do."
"They say there are no bad deals, only bad prices.  I'm here to tell you thay're wrong."
"I love it when the facts agree with my preconceived notions."
"I consider myself vertically and diametrically challenged."

In later years, I drifted apart from this friend.  There were times when I thought about him and wondered how life was treating him.  More frequently, I applied some of the lessons he taught me while giving a silent nod in his direction.

But I didn't go far enough.  I didn't look him up.  Didn't call.  Didn't make that greater effort to try to stay in touch.

Now it's too late, and I'm left with only regrets about what I should have done.



No comments:

Post a Comment