Monday, July 12, 2010

Wow, it sure is quiet here...

I'm nearing the four month mark on the one year sabbatical, and things have definitely quieted down.

And there are some positive and some negative aspects to that.

On the positive side: I'm really enjoying the time with the family, and I especially appreciate building a connection with the twins before they head off to school this fall (kindergarden). I feel more relaxed than I have in a long time. I've gotten a lot of projects done, which feels good. I have time for contemplation, developmental thought, and development of a better sense of myself.

On the negative side: My social life, never much of a buzz, has really gotten quiet. All those things that I thought I would do -- well, I'm not doing them. Haven't played golf once, have only fished a few times, not really reading any more than I was before, etcetera.

On balance, though, its been a good experience for me so far.

Today I received two interesting looking emails -- one for a President's job out of the area in a very large business, the other for a small local manufacturing business for sale. I felt no compulsion to open either of them.

And I may be extending the sabbatical in any case. With the new adoption on the horizon, I'm not going to make the same mistake I did last time and rush back into work and regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment