Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Year in Review

Back when I was in the Corporate world, I would give myself my own mini-review each year around this time. The idea was to see how I did on my personal goals set at the beginning of the year, and then use the knowledge gained to set new personal goals for the upcoming year.

Unfortunately, I don't have 2010's goals handy (they're undoubtedly in a box full of office junk that I've studiously avoided looking at for the last nine months), but I believe I can recall more or less what they were. So for better or worse, here is 2010's report card.

1. Change my career trajectory -- Grade A.

In 2010, I had the courage (and the financial resources) to quit my job without a plan, and without any preconceived notions of where I was going to go. Although there were a couple of opportunities for more of the same kind of work that quickly popped up, with Paula's help I managed to resist racing down any of those paths.

2. Undertake a period of reflection, and try to deliberately decide what I'd really like to do for the balance of my career -- Grade C

I'd done a lot of reflecting prior to leaving my old position, but some of the things I envisioned doing, such as visiting non-profits or taking a sabbatical of several days in nearly complete sensory isolation, never happened. I ended up writing, perhaps not because I'd intellectually chosen it (in an intellectual sense), but because I enjoyed it. In a sense, however, it was a deliberate choice, just one made more with my gut and heart, than my head (which, if you know me at all, is definitely an out of body experience).

3. Reconnect with my family -- Grade B

If measured by the amount of time I spent, it's and A. Quality is probably a C. I've developed some hermit-like tendencies that make me less emotionally available than I'd ideally like. This is something I need to continue working on next year as well.

4. Spend time with the twins while they're still small -- Grade B

They definitely know they have two parents (When Anna was little, I was gone so much she believed I lived somewhere else, and only came to the house to visit!). I never understood the level of conflict that could exist between twins until actually experiencing it. There are some days where it can be pretty hard be enthusiastic about spending time with them if they're in a crabby mood.


All in all, while far from perfect, still a pretty good year!

No comments:

Post a Comment