Thursday, August 26, 2010

How Rush led to Rand...

I attended a concert last night by the Canadian rockers Rush. I think this was the third live viewing for me, although the last was undoubtedly a good twenty-some years ago.

Anyway, it got me thinking about the influence this band had on the direction of my life. Sometimes funny or odd things can have a major impact, and Rush is no exception.

I think I was in eighth grade when I first noticed the band. It was during a time where I was having some difficulties in school with, well -- bullies (that's a simplification, but it's too long to go into here). Rush had just released an album called "2112", which contained some angry music, as well as some intellectual stuff. I would listen to it at home at top volume when I was by myself.

The "A" side of the album was a kind of rock-opera that I loved. As I poured over the lyrics and album art, and noticed an acknowledgement -- "to the genius of Ayn Rand". When I finally figured out she was an author, I picked up a copy of a short novella called "Anthem" and read it. After that, I was hooked.

Interesting connection.

Now the band members are in their late 50's, and its a bit harder to pull off the youthful angst thing that they had going in the 1970's. Still, it was a fun trip down memory lane for me, and to their credit, the band members appear to be doing what they love, and appear to not be the pampered ogres many famous people become (although who can be sure??).

No comments:

Post a Comment